My Birth Story

Now that my baby is a year old, I think I am ready to share my birth story with you all. It was nothing like the movies, and not at all what I expected. I expected to go early due to my  placental abruption {which I discuss in my pregnancy story- linked here}, and I actually ended up going past my due date. Once I went past my due date I expected to be induced which I didn’t quite make it to. I expected my baby to be born the day that I went into the hospital having contractions {definitely a mistaken assumption}! I didn’t plan on getting an epidural, and then once I got the epidural I expected it to work. It was an extremely rough and exhausting 27 hours but it was liberating, empowering, and definitely worth it!

It was Wednesday, November 2, and I was already past my due date and was scheduled to be induced at 5 pm. I stayed home from work to make sure everything was ready to bring our sweet boy home, as I was planning on heading into the hospital that night. Well it was a good thing I didn’t go into work because I started having contractions in the late morning. I wasn’t sure if they were real or not, and I didn’t want to go to the hospital too soon just to get turned away.

I went to Starbucks that morning for my first peppermint mocha of the season. I came home and tried to relax and watch some television, then I decided that I would shower and get ready for the day. After getting ready I called my mom and we went to TJ Maxx to walk around, soon after leaving I called my husband and had him come home from work so we could head to the hospital since my contractions were getting stronger and they were only about 4-5 minutes apart.

After having contractions for a few hours at home, once we got to the hospital I was dilated to 4 cm. I was feeling good and the pain was tolerable, Cory and I were so excited to meet our little one. We got in touch with some of our family and close friends to let them know that we were at the hospital and getting ready for Graham’s arrival, and shortly after we got settled they broke my water.

By 7 that evening I was dilated to 7 cm and they told me at this point that I needed to decide whether I wanted an epidural or not, because past this point there was no turning back. I hadn’t had a concrete plan in place for an epidural. I had told myself prior to my delivery that in this moment if I was in pain and wanted to get the epidural that I would, but I really wasn’t in terrible pain yet. My husband and I discussed it and he suggested that it would be easier on him to not see me in so much pain {I think he was just trying to let me feel tough}, so I decided that I would go ahead with the epidural. My biggest fear with the epidural was that I wouldn’t be able to feel anything at all, and I still wanted to be able to move and function. I was pleased because I still was able to control my bottom half; the pain was relieved but I could tell when I was having contractions, which is exactly what I wanted!

The Cleveland Indians played the final game in the World Series that night at 8, so we were able to stay distracted by watching the game and with my epidural I was able to actually enjoy the game even though the Cubs won. My husband had joked that if the Indians won Graham would have been named “Graham Slam White” {I kind of think that’s why they lost}, he was definitely meant to be Graham Rocky 🙂 Also, with the assistance of the epidural I was able to get a decent night of sleep. While my husband was in an uncomfortable semi-recliner chair, and my family in the waiting room were sleeping {trying to sleep, I should say} in some very uncomfortable furniture.


I woke up early the next morning in pain, my epidural had worn off and slowly but surely I started to feel EVERYTHING and I had also started to get sick {feeling all of the contraction pain and throwing up several times was not the most pleasant thing to wake up to}! They got the doctor in my room as soon as possible, and shortly after he left the epidural was back in full effect. I was so glad to have that relief, going from no pain to feeling all of the pain was miserable. At this point I was checked again, where I was told that I hadn’t budged from the 7 cm since I received the epidural the night before. The doctor had told us prior to receiving the epidural, for some it speeds labor up and for some it slows down. For me, it was definitely slowing down.

It had worn off one more time prior to me starting to push, and it was the same thing all over again. I was in so much pain, which I believe it was so much worse having the relief of the epidural and then having all the pain come rushing back at once. I was trying to breathe through the contractions and at the same time I was throwing up because of the pain I was enduring. The doctor came in again to relieve me from the pain and add to my epidural.

After I started feeling better, my mom went to get Cory some lunch. While he ate his lunch, my mom and mother in law came to visit with us. At this point, I had been having contractions for about 24 hours. As soon as Cory finished his lunch, they came and said that I was at 9.5 cm and that we were going to start pushing. {I think that Cory was a little nervous, and somewhat regretting that he had just ate a huge burger!} My mom and mother in law stayed in the room with us during the delivery, which was not part of the plan, but I am extremely grateful that they were there to assist and support us through this. Graham was not aligned correctly to come out very easily, so they knew it was going to take some time. Because I had the epidural I couldn’t get out of my bed but they had me in every position possible to try to get Graham aligned with the birth canal.

I remember being so excited when they said I could start pushing, thinking this usually only lasts for maybe 30 minutes. After pushing for about 20 minutes the epidural wore off once again. I was in horrible pain! He came in to add to the epidural again, but this time it didn’t last very long before it wore off again {for the fourth time} and then he told me that he could not give me any more medicine! I was so terrified, scared, and defeated. I recall saying to Cory that I didn’t think I could do it, I was so exhausted, physically and mentally. I had been through so much, and it was a pain that I had never experienced. The contractions, for me, felt like waves of the most horrible stomach cramp/pain. My mom pulled one of my nurse’s aside and told her that she needed to get my OBGYN here as soon as possible, and I didn’t know until after the fact but she had begged them to just do a c-section {which I am so grateful that they did not perform the cesarean, because I have heard the aftercare and recovery of a c-section is so hard!} I also had already told my OB I did not want a c-section unless the baby needed it. Graham’s heart rate was perfect {he was quite a trooper} so they let me continue to push.


Finally about two hours later, {after them telling me how close I was for the last hour, and repeatedly saying “one more big push”} I finally had my sweet baby boy! I did not hear him crying at first and I remember yelling at Cory “Why isn’t he crying?!” even though I knew my husband was just as worried as I was. When they caught him, he wasn’t breathing at first so he had to go right over to the table because he had inhaled some meconium. The nurses were calm and cleaned him off, he started crying and then they brought him over to lay with me. Once he was on my chest he stopped crying, opened his deep blue eyes, and just looked at me calmly like he was finally at peace. It is a memory I will never forget, along with the way that Cory looked at me holding Graham for the first time.


The nurses were great and they were in for much more than they bargained for, I couldn’t be more thankful for all of them. He had a head full of hair, my delivery nurse said it was the most she had ever seen, and he was the most perfect thing I had ever seen!


On November 3, 2016 at 3:13 pm Graham Rocky White was born weighing 8 lbs and 2 oz and 21 inches long ♥


mrs. motivated mommy


4 thoughts on “My Birth Story

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s